Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Hug Can Heal All Wounds

Hugs Heal...

A hug may be exchanged as a sign of support and comfort. A hug can be a demonstration of affection and emotional warmth, sometimes arising out of joy or happiness at meeting someone. Brief in most cases, it is used to show many levels of affection. It is not particular to human beings alone, as there are many species of animals that engage in similar exchanges of warmth. (Wikipedia)


When I was a teenager, I was a very open hugger. You were not allowed to leave my presence without first receiving a hug from me. As I have gotten older, I find that I enjoy my own personal space, so I tend to reserve my hugs to only those closest to me emotionally. I even have friends who call ahead of time to schedule a hug from me.

But, now that school is back in session, my new class is teaching me a thing or two about hugging. It usually takes the students a little while to warm up to me, but today one little girl stepped out of line, wrapped her tiny arms around my right leg, and squeezed me as tightly as she possibly could. Her teeny head lay on my stomach and I heard a small sigh escape from her lips. It brought tears to my eyes. After what probably seemed to her like an eternity since she had seen her mom, she just melted into my embrace. Reenergized by the release of emotions, she quickly jumped up and ran off to play with her friends.

HUGS heal Children...

A friend with a heavy heart, caught me in the hall after school. She looked stressfully into my eyes and asked if we could discuss something that had been bothering her all day. After positioning ourselves on the bench outside the cafeteria, she began to devulge her fears and anguish about an event that happened outside of school the evening before. I didn't have much to add to the conversation, but I listened intently. At the close of the conversation, I reached over and hugged this friend. Her tension in her shoulders eased as she allowed herself to be embraced.

HUGS heal Friends...

Some days I struggle just to keep my head above the emotional sea I have found myself in this summer. I keep my mouth shut and my thoughts to myself. But there are a few people who can read me like a book. They can simply tell when a hug could heal my broken spirit, if even just for the moment.

At the end of the day, today, my mind and spirit, were exhausted. It was getting to be time to clean up and get ready to go home. All the students were putting things away, packing up their bags, and finding there way, slowly, to the carpet for the last book of the day. I guess, I was kinda slumped in the chair waiting for them to get settled. One tough little boy, stood up and sauntered toward me. He stopped in front of my chair and said, "Ms. Ponder you look like you need a hug." Then without hesitation he put his arms around me and laid his head on my shoulder.

It was so endearing that I couldn't stand the sappiness of it all. I reached my tired arms around him and gave him a gigantic zerbert right on his left cheek. The class broke out in hysterics! His smile could not have been bigger! And my energy was back!

HUGS heal Teachers, too...

I now believe that God gave us hugs so that we could literally touch His love and feel His healing power.

So if you are feeling blue...find someone to hug, and let God heal your spirit.

(BTW...My hug schedule is now wide open and clear... forever!)

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Ms. Ponder~ I don't know if you will remember me, but I was the second grade teachers' teacher aide last year for a few months and then I started substituting. My name is Tiffany Solis. I have to admit that I am addicted to your blog. Not just the blog itself, but your strenth, your faith, and the way that no matter how down in the dumps you may be, you always find some way to help someone else. I just wanted to tell you that I admire you. Thank you. I hope you have a wonderful school year!

Kathy said...

You know it's kind of funny that I used to be the non-hugger (I think I just made up a word :)) until I met you... I remember a time when you would always give me a hug whenever we parted... somewhere along the way I think we had a role reversal... now I'm the hugger and am so glad you are back to accepting hugs! You give great friendship hugs :) I love you my sister!