Friday, September 19, 2008

God Sighting

I saw God, yesterday.

The weather was beautiful this week. It was nice and cool outside in the middle of the day, so I decided to spend some time with my students during PE. The first event planned was the Hodges Mile, which turns out to really be the Hodges 4/5 of a mile, but who is really counting?

Before joining my students on this trek around the cones, down passed the skinny tree, up a slight incline to the kickball fields, and finally back to the blacktop, I had to retrieve my sneakers from the car. So, I took my keys and headed to the back parking lot. After quickly slipping on my Adidas and locking the car, I jogged to the gym to meet my students.

Later in the day, after the kids had gone home, I began gathering up my purse and lunch bag and heading out the door. I was almost to the exit when I remembered that I forgot to grab my keys off the top of my desk. I leave them in plain view so that I can have easy access to them in case of an emergency recess break. I dashed back to my classroom, only to find that my keys were not in their regular spot.

My first reaction: PANIC!

Then, fear that one of my students may have been curious enough about them that the keys were now taking a holiday in someones backpack.

Then words entered my brain from NOWHERE...

"Ask and you shall be given...seek and you shall find..."
I thought, okay...

So I said a little prayer,
"Lord, I am tired and want to go home. Please help me find my keys." Surprisingly, my voice was filled with complete confidence that this would work. That He would hear and answer.

I took a step closer to my computer, scanned the room, took another step, and then .... THERE!

In the small blue basket, hidden under several layers of strewn out papers, I caught sight of a glint of light bouncing off the metal of the keys.

In my exhausted state, it was like seeing God in the flesh, standing there with the keys in His almighty hand! Goose bumps covered my body as I allowed the Holy Spirit to warm me with His presence.

It seems such a tiny thing...so silly in the eyes of unbelievers...but so bold and powerful a message to me that I just had to share it.

Where have you seen God lately?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad God hears our prayers. When God is near, special things happen. Often we are too busy to notice God is near.
This might be a thin place. I think that a thin place is where you experience the presence of God is near. To me it is a reoccuring place or a place where everytime you are there God is also.
I am so glad you experienced this blessing.