Saturday, October 25, 2008

It is amazing at what people will do for you, if you only know who to ask...

Somehow, beyond my knowledge, God put me in the "perfect" position to take on a GIANT project for Him.




Trunk or Treat 2008

So, on September 23th, I met with a group of other Christians who intended to take on this same project in their own neighborhoods. We discussed things like:

food for the event
layout
volunteers to help
decorating trunks
advertising
how to get the community involved
how to get the event approved
traffic control
permits
permission from principals
permission from the city
how to get candy
money
and lots, lots more

When I left that meeting, I thought my head would explode!
I can't do this. That was simply a matter of fact. I cannot do this!

But God had His plan, and I was included in it. There was no way to get out of it. So, instead of whining, I started praying.

Lord,
Please give me an abundance of volunteers. I want the numbers to be so large that I don't know what to do with all of them.

Lord, give me faith and trust in you. Remind me that you are with me every step I take and in every decision that I make.

Lord, give me a partner in the community to help me make this thing work.

You are bigger than Trunk or Treat. You are bigger than my fears. You are bigger than the list of things that I have to accomplish. Help me to remember this and push forward all the way through Oct. 26!

I love you Lord.

Well, duh! All you have to do is ask!
Wow! I am overwhelmed at the answers God bestowed upon me!

Not only did He give me volunteers, but He gave me ones that are eager to work! Thank you Lord!

Not only did He give me faith that He was there with me. He turned me into a completely different person! I organized. I called people I did not know. (In case you don't know me, this is a stupid fear of mine) I advertised. I asked for help. (another huge step for Kathryn!) I answered questions. For that matter, I answered phone calls from numbers I didn't recognize.

I changed...or more accurately, the Lord changed me to whom He needed me to be! Thank you Lord!

Not only did He give me a community partner, He gave me one with an abundance of people skills and great ideas! As I entered the school on Thursday morning, the day after the big meeting...the day after the big prayer...I ran into the PE assistant coach. She lives in the neighborhood and has a child at Hodges. A voice said..."She's the one." I reached out, grabbed her arm, and told her of God's plan for the community project. Her face brightened with every word. I could see the sprockets in her brain start churning with ideas. Tentatively, I asked, "Will you help me?"

ABSOLUTELY!
Her answer echoed throughout the gym. I could not have asked for a better community partner!
Thank you Lord!

*************************

Your life is your GIANT project for God. That is what I learned from this experience. This project is not just for the community. It was a project that enforced change in my life, in my heart, in my confidence in God.

His power is omniscient! It is bigger than anything that you have to face.
If you need help overcoming, or organizing, or planning your life...don't let your worries get so big!
Know that God is bigger!
God is simply waiting for you to realize that He is the one you need to ask.

Blessings!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Wow! What a powerful testimony to God's power and ability to work things out in our lives! I am so proud of you for taking the steps to do this. I know you had to overcome a lot of fears to allow God to have this opportunity to help you grow. What a powerful statement to stepping out in faith and trusting God to work in your life.