Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Riding along side my future

Walking along side someone and helping to carry their burden is what each of us is called to do by God on a daily basis.

I wonder if driving along side someone answers this calling?

Every Saturday or Sunday morning, John wakes up at the crack of dawn to go running. He has been training for the White Rock Marathon. Each time he goes, I text him a good morning / good luck wish and I start to pray for his safety. But this past weekend, John decided to ask me to come along.

Not being a runner, I was curious as to how it was going to all work out. But, as usual, John had a plan. He had plotted out a route that I could drive while he ran along side the car.

I have always wondered what it is like for him out there, running alone for such long distances. I have a million questions about his time on the trail.

Where does the trail take him?
What does he think about that whole time?

How does he interact with other people on the trail?

How does he keep from getting too tired?

When does he stop to drink or eat?


Well, last Saturday morning, I was able to learn the answers to many of these questions.

When we arrived at White Rock Lake, I let John out at the entrance of Lawther Rd, off of Garland. He did a warm up jog by running west toward the Spillway and back. Meanwhile, I parked the car and waited for him to come back around.

I was watching the other runners, trying to wrap my brain around why anyone would want to get out in the freezing cold weather to do this kind of exercise. It just doesn't appeal to me at all, and I can't figure out why there are so many other people who love to do it.

I was so caught up in my own thoughts that I missed when John ran past the car. He was on the trail, and I on the street, but if I had been paying attention there was no way I could have missed him. I had to be a little speedy to catch up to him, but when I did, riding right along side him, matching his pace, was easy. He turned to catch my eye and blew me a kiss.

Being so early in the morning it was a cinch to ride right next to him along the road without obstructing other cars. It wasn't until we were climbing the hill at Winfrey Point that I encountered another vehicle. But the driver was patient as he cruised along behind me at 4 mph. At the top of the hill, I moved aside and allowed him to pass. John and I made our way down the other side of the hill before parting. He continued to follow the trail as I drove out of the park and around to the other side near the Stone Tables.

It was so cold that some of the excess water in the field and gutters had frozen solid. As we cruised along together, I noticed that John was trying to talk to me. I rolled down the window to a blast of frigid air. I could see John's breath as he huffed along up the hill we were traveling. He was pointing to the water and telling me he wanted to come back to investigate it later.

We were finally on the last leg of the journey, and John seemed to pick up his pace a little. We had to separate again when the trail went the opposite direction from the road. John made it to his finish before I did.

On the way down the hill to the Bath house parking lot, I got to thinking...that this is my future. I am not only riding along side a friend while he trains for a marathon. I am riding along side my future. And I thank you Lord for giving me someone so wonderful to train with for the marathon of my life.

3 comments:

trievangelist said...

0 MPH?! I am faster than that darlin'. That was a fun experience. I can't wait to do it again. I love you and I'm glad to see you writing again.

jb

Kathryn said...

Okay, John...you are right...I edited it to be more accurate!

Kathy said...

I love your comment about "training for the marathon of life" that's an awesome analogy!