Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Comforting Prayer

"Hurry! Hurry!" she shouted to her sister, "We've got to go! We only have an hour left to figure out all the clues!" The two babies in the backseat were having so much fun on the Christmas Scavenger Hunt that our bible class was putting on. We had just left the Penguin Mailbox where I had just danced a jig and sang, "Please Mr. Postman." We rushed back to the car and sped to the next stop with our friends in tow in the car behind us.

All of us had a great deal of fun popping in and out of our cars, taking pictures of silly Christmas yard art, singing carols to strangers, and searching for mistletoe for some good ole smooch-a-roos!

When arriving back at the house, I realized that I had not brought the cord to hook up my camera to the computer. The judges of the hunt could not see all objects that our team had found. What a way to let my team down. I was heart broken. But one of the Computer Smarty Pants Guys came to the rescue...they figured out how to rig my camera up to the TV, directly. Thank goodness for computer geeks!

But, then we faced the challenge of finding the pictures I had taken that night because I had not cleaned off my camera in about a month and had many pictures ahead of the ones taken that day. I knew that this concern was aggrivating other people and holding up the process.

Frustrated beyond control, I fled from the house and dashed down the street to try to clear my head. It was dark outside, but the neighborhood was all aglow with the season of Christmas. Lights donned almost every house on the street. Yards were decorated with Santa, the reindeer, Tweety Bird and penguins on mailboxes.

But toward the end of my trot down the street, I finally came across Jesus.

He was standing right there in front of me, holding his arms out inviting me in for a tender hug. I had cried all the way down the street, before I finally asked Him to help me. It is funny how I tend to ask Jesus to help more than God, these days. I guess Jesus just seems more real to me. After all, He was the one who walked on this earth. He felt all the things we feel and experienced similar things that we experience.

I found myself calling out to Him, longing for Him to ease my anxiety. I was begging Him to give me patience and comfort and understanding.

AND He did!
Just like that!
It is amazing how that works!
All you have to do is ask!

So Lord, what I ask now is that you help me remember You are here for me in all occasions, happy or sad, excitement or disappointment, anxiety or elation. And Lord, let me remember to live this out in my life so that I can be an example of your love to those babies in the backseat.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Great job Kathryn! I too need to remember to be an example of Jesus' love to the small children I teach. It's been really hard lately cause I'm tired and the kids are hyper and all excited.