Sunday, December 28, 2008

I have a confession to make...I went to China this summer only half wanting to do mission work. The other half of me wanted to travel. I wanted to tell the story of the trip around the world...and oh what a story God gave me to tell.

When getting ready to go, I went through a training with LST. I learned the basics on how to talk with people about the Bible. I learned how to share the story of my Christianity. I even learned how to comfort and console others through the pain of their own lives.

But the one thing I did not learn was to have compassion for those in our world who do not know The Good News of Jesus Christ. I was hoping to learn that through the work I was going to do in China.

I actually did not learn that lesson until recently.

I feel that Jesus is making this point with me in every part of my life.

I am listening, Lord! Teach me! Use me! Send me!
*************************************************************

Referring to my previous post...I saw that homeless fellow several days ago and handed him $10. My heart said he needed it. This time when I turned the corner, I no longer saw the makeshift bed and wondered if I had just been scammed.

Since then, I have come to understand that the Lord may not be asking us to give financially to the guys standing on the street corner. He is asking us to see all the hurting souls of our world, both in foreign countries and right here on our own street corners.

What the hopeless people of the world really need is our time, our conversation, our comforting touch, our listening ear.

Lord open, not only my eyes to see You in everyone around me...but also open my time, my mouth, my arms, and my ears!
Help me to not be afraid of those around me.
Help me to not be afraid of those I know NEED to know You.
Help me to not be afraid to say what needs to be said.
And Help me to shut my mouth when I don't have words that come from You.
I am here Lord. Use me as You will.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

One of my most frequent prayers is for the Lord to give me the eyes to see what He would have me to see and to be able to see others the way He sees them. It is so hard to slow down and really see those around us especially in this hurry up world. I pray the Lord will give us both the eyes to see and also the desire and the courage to do His will.

Diane said...

Boy Kathryn, you and I are in a very similar place! Your post hit me right where I live. We need to dialogue some more.
Blessings!
Diane