Monday, January 19, 2009

How do you talk about Jesus?

A couple of weeks ago, Randy Harris wrapped up his sermon series with our church. Buffering his final lesson, there was a video that spoke volumes to me. It was a scene of a homeless man sitting outside a storefront holding a sign that said "Will you help me?"

People on the street were passing this vagrant by without a second glance, in a hurry to get to their destinations. Finally, one man, dressed in casual business attire, stopped in front of this same storefront and seemed to have an epiphany about something.

In the next frame, you see this businessman come back with two cups of coffee and plop himself down on the sidewalk next to the tramp. He strikes up a conversation and the audience is left with the impression that the businessman would stay as long as he was needed.

In the video, this act of kindness seemed easy. It was almost a testimony of how we, as Christians, are supposed to treat everyone we see each day...homeless or not. But is it really as easy as all that?

I, personally, don't relate with strangers well. How do you strike up a conversation with someone you just met on the street? How do you make small talk with the woman in line in front of you in the grocery store? How do you say more than "Hi" to the fellow sitting at the next table in a restaurant?

I just don't know.

How can I show Christ's love to strangers, if I am unaware of how to communicate effectively with them?

I wonder if there are others in the world like me. And, if there are others, what do we do to accomplish the mission that God has put so heavily on our hearts?

This may seem very basic, but I think many people want to know: How do you show or tell strangers in this world about the Lord?

So my question to you is:
How do YOU talk to others about the Lord?
How do you bring the name of Jesus up in conversation?
What techniques do you have for telling others how God has blessed you?

No comments: