Friday, April 17, 2009

Will you take this journey with me?

A student in 3rd grade hasn't stopped talking about the egg hunt all week. Apparently he had never participated in such an event.

How does a child get to the third grade without an experience as simple as that?

When I began looking for a job, I prayed that God would find me a position at Hodges Elementary. I knew that it was a low income area and the kids would need lots of love. I knew there would be many challenges waiting for me each day. But I still prayed that God would put me there.

In the last 5 years, I have been regretting that prayer. I have been so burned out that I couldn't remember why I ever had the desire to work with kids and parents who didn't seem to care. But this year, through all my own personal tragedy, I think I have found the answers I have been lacking.

Having the opportunity to put on events such as Trunk or Treat and the Easter Egg Hunt have reminded me of how much those kids at Hodges need me...not just me, but any adult that will pay attention to them. And it is better to give them positive encouraging attention rather than the negative kind they get on the streets and even in their own homes.

My prayer is that we...Christians in the area...discover new ways to support and encourage the people in this are and their children. I want this outreach ministry to incorporate teachers, public workers, and HO members who love this community and its children. I want to work together to find the ways to best support that child in 3rd grade who has never experienced the simple things in life and all the others who identify with him.

I pray that you will take this journey with me.

No comments: